Wednesday, January 6, 2010

rabid kids.... Fridge Fairies.... and hairy caterpillars

Today at work a couple of co-workers and myself got into a discussion about children. One co-worker was telling-us about how frustrated she got with her two kids, a boy and a girl, ages 6 and 8 respectively. Apparently last night they were very hyper for whatever reason and were, as she put it, "running around acting like rabid animals in heat".  She said that she just could not get them to settle down. they would start off playing, but always ended up fighting, whining, and chasing each other.  She tried putting them in their own rooms, but that they continued to bother each other by banging on the walls at each other.  She almost seemed like she was getting frustrated all over again just telling us about it.

This got me to thinking about my childhood. I do not have any kids of my own (yet,  but someday ...God willing). Anyway my Mom used to tell me a story about me and my brother when we were around those same ages.  My brother and I used to play outside alot, and we used to make up alot of games.  One day we decided we were going to play gas station.  We would wash the window on the car, pretend we were checking the oil, etc.  Well when it came time to put the gas in the car, pretending just wasn't cutting it...it need to be "real".  So we opened the gas tank on the car, grabbed the water hose, and let'er rip.  yep, filled up the car gas tank till it overflowed with good ol' H20. Of course this rendered the car useless...and my parents had to have the water siphoned out of the tank.  My parents were not as excited about us fillig up the car with "gas" as my brother and I were, so needless to say, we were in pretty big trouble.  So as we were both put into our room (that we shared) for basically the next couple of years of our lives ( or so it seemed, I'm sure...probably was just the rest of the night), we needed something to do. After all just sitting there was not an option for two boys of that age.  Apparently we decided, for some strange reason, to take all of our clothes out of the dresser drawers and throw them out the window. By the time we got caught, we had stripped the bunk beds of all the sheets and comforters and were about to give them the ol heave-ho as well. To this day, neither me or my brother know what made us throw everything out the window...but due to whatever game we had made up at the time...it was COMPLETELY necessary to make the game seem more "real".  I am the younger brother, so i can just always claim that i was just doing what my big brother told me to do!!  This doesn't seem to work as well, now that i am in my 30's....hmmm.



Today's edition of "what's in the community refrigerator at work?"

Praise the Lord, there is a God!! The refrigerators have been cleaned out...sparkling clean!!  Smell like new!! It is like the Fridge Fairies all got together and said "WTF!! is going on in those refrigerators? We must stop the onslaught of toxic vapors before anyone (else) gets sick."

However never fear... the work place never fails to offer wonderful nuggets and strange offerings of the most bizarre kind. So today's edition of "what's in the community refrigerator at work?" has been relpaced with....

"What was found in the stairwell at work?"

As I was leaving work today, I took my normal route from the second floor to the parking lot, by going down the back stairs.  The means two flights...so as I came to the end of the first flight and rounded the corner to the second flight...there it was!!  It was hanging on the handrail.... brownish red in color...about 6 to 8 inches long....greasy...with some sort of rubber band type thing on one end.  Just hanging there waiting for some unsuspecting soul to accidently grab hold while just innocently trying to keep from falling by grabbing the supplied handrail.  It was..... a stray, braided ....hair extension!!!  Yep...some poor female is running around tonight with a gaping spot on the back of her head where the this extension broke free and jumped for its life to the stairwell handrail.  Ok..so how does one not know something of this sort has fallen off their head?  Being a guy with very short blonde hair... i agree I do not know anything about hair extensions...but i think I would know if one fell off my head...?!?!  My question is ...who picked it up to put it on the handrail?..... it looked liked a very large hairy caterpillar...


Keep Smiling...and Keep Blogging

1 comment:

  1. Lol..the story of the filling up the gas tank just takes me back to soooo many dumb things my brother and I did as kids...

    I'm with you on the hair extensions, no idea how you couldn't feel one though..I'm just glad it wasn't me that put it up on the handrail.. :)

    ReplyDelete