Saturday, January 9, 2010

E-Freaks... Graceland.... And the Smell of Dizzy

Today is Elvis Presley’s 75th birthday…or wait, it is after midnight, so i guess yesterday was his birthday. For most people, that means they may hear something about it on TV… or see a quick mention on the internet. But for those of us that live in Memphis, TN…that means we get to hear about it for a good solid week. It also means we get to see some 50,000 people from all over the world come pouring into our city. This is always good for Memphis, as it brings in tourist dollars and helps out our local businesses. But it also seems to bring out some of the oddest people you will ever see. Not just Elvis impersonators, but I am talking some crazy Elvis fanatics….or E-Freaks as we around here so lovingly refer to them.


Even at lunch today… a co-worker and I had the honor of eating two tables away from the “king” himself. Oddly enough, the “King” was also sitting at a table across the restaurant. So me, my co worker, the two “Kings”, and about 20 other people that were wearing Elvis shirts, hats, buttons, scarves, etc , etc, etc. all enjoyed our sandwiches and chips together. Of course, all you could hear from any and every table was story after story of how they “once met Elvis” or “once saw Elvis in the grocery store” or “have a lock of his hair from seeing him concert”. Every one of the E-Freaks seems to have some personal “connection” to Elvis.

Of course after lunch…all of the E-Freaks were headed over to take the big tour of Graceland along with thousands more of their kind…the highlight of their trip. I have lived in Memphis since 1989…and I have never officially been to Graceland. I say officially because I have driven past it several times… just never taken the tour. However, I heard enough about it over the years that I feel like I have taken the tour many times.

Of Course, tonight and all this weekend is when the real craziness will happen…down on Beale Street. The Elvis Impersonators will line up and down Beale and the big street party will be in full swing. Beale is a big street party every weekend, but Elvis Birthday Week becomes a madhouse.

So ….Happy Birthday Elvis….the E-Freaks are doing you proud!!!

                                   




Time for today’s edition of “What’s in the community refrigerator at work?”

MMMM….MMMM… Today’s morsel of muck was a piece of fish. I truly have no clue what type it was for sure, as it was perfectly square and a grayish white color. Nothing else with it…just a lump of gray fish substance on a plate….mmmm…. good eats boys and girls!! I would try to describe the smell as it was being heated in the community microwave (which could be a whole separate segment on this blog in itself—but I will spare you that indulgence), but just thinking about it is making me dizzy all over again.

Keep Smiling and Keep Blogging!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you eat that fish? lmao sounds disgusting...

    and wow- can't imagine living in Memphis around this time of year. I have a coworker who is a total Elvis freak and....yea basically I just think she's a freak in general lol ALL Elvis- ALL THE TIME! It's weird. I don't think I could live amongst that with 500 of her at once like I'm sure you are around. uh uh uh!

    Anyhoo, following you because u leave cool posts on Luna's blog. Nice to meet u! :-)

    http://experimental-happiness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete